Pages

Thursday, January 2, 2020

summer learning journey activity 2 my culture

My culture is very mixed with other cultures, on my mum side she have Chines,Filipino and Spanish. My mums family are really close knit, even their dead loved ones they still visit them every week at the cemetery and always remember their death anniversary by offering a mass. Every 2 or 3 years We go to the Philippines for a holiday, 3 years ago we went to the Philippines for a Christmas vacation and on Christmas day my mum wake me up at 7:00 AM to give the candy canes and chocolates that we bought from New Zealand to the less fortunate kids that will go to every house in the neighbour hood to ask for money or lollies as their Christmas gift and  my family went to mass on that day. The New Year celebration is so different from New Zealand. People are still awake at midnight to meet the New Year by having lots of yummy food that the family eat together at midnight and we did fire works and party horns to make some noises It was my first Christmas and New Year experience and it was a memorable  moment of my life. There's also a big festival that I witnessed, it was the feast of Santo Nino the patron saint of Cebu City. Thousands of people from all over Philippines and other countries came to join the fiesta especially the sinulog where the people dancing on the street to honour the infant Jesus. I really miss that event of my life because I really enjoyed and had lots of fun. While on my dad side not much to tell except that he has a mixture of Danish and English and sadly my grandparents  were dead and my father only had one bother with no kids. I seldom see my uncle but every now and then we talk on the phone.







what country are you mixed with and what does your family do from were you or your parents are from?

2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Zoe, this is Kieryn from the Summer Learning Journey.
    Well done for participating in the Summer Learning Journey activities and creating this blog post about your culture!
    It sounds like you have a large mix of cultures within you, and you truly have embraced all of these!
    Chinese, Filopino, Spanish, Danish and English is quite a blend, but it’s great to see that you and your family still acknowledge and participate in the culture of all of these.
    Your Christmas vacation from three years ago seems like it was an amazing experience. You mentioned how your mum woke you up to give candy canes and chocolates to the less fortunate children. You should be very proud of yourself for doing such a kind gesture, ka pai!
    You also mentioned how in the Philippines people celebrate the new year by staying awake until midnight and then having a feast.
    What kind of New Year’s traditions do you have when you are in New Zealand?
    I am extremely happy that this trip was so memorable for you. Between the festivals, feasts and fireworks you must have been exhausted once you got home!
    Nga mihi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes we were exhausted once we got home and my tradition
      in New Zealand is lighting sparklers and my mum makes a good dinner for a good New Year

      Delete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post